ADULT SOFTBALL RULES- 2014
1. All softball leagues shall be under the supervision of the New Iberia Recreation Department. NIRD reserves the right to make any adjustments that will benefit the league(s) as a whole. The decision of the Department will be final.
2. Official USSSA Softball rules for the 2014 season shall govern all league play, (including home run rules) except as amended and stated by local rule changes. Industrial A, Masters, ladies and Co-ed are allowed 3 home runs per game... Every home run after allotted home runs will be an inning ending out and an offensive ejection, meaning the player can remain on defense but that slot in the batting order is an out throughout the reminder of the game. Wednesday night Home run league is also allowed 3 home runs and the fun league is now allowed 1 home run per game. All home runs after that will only be an out in all leagues.
3. a. NIRD suggests that you carry at least 20 players on your roster to avoid forfeits. A player must be a least seventeen (17) years old before playing in any league. Once a player signs a player roster form with a team and that team roster is turned into the Recreation Department, that player may not switch teams without permission from NIRD officials.
b. THERE WILL BE NO ADDITIONS TO TEAM ROSTERS AFTER THE NIGHT OF THE SECOND PLAYED GAME EXCEPT IN CASE OF INJURY TO PLAYER SUPPORTED BY A DOCTORS EXCUSE OR PERMISSION IS GRANTED BY THE RECREATION DEPARTMENT. In case of adding player to roster due to injury, injured players name will be dropped for the remainder of season. The player dropped from the roster will not be able to play with any other team after that point. (This rule will be enforced.) THE INJURED PLAYERS DOCTORS EXCUSE MUST BE GIVEN TO AND APPROVED BY NIRD BEFORE PLAYING. Teams may be asked to produce cancelled payroll checks as proof of employment.
c. All industrial teams are excluded from Rule 3b as they are allowed to pick up all season long due to extenuating circumstances such as shift work, etc. as long as they are on the payroll of that particular company. Player must receive check from that company to qualify. Roster limits are unlimited for Industrial teams. IF A PLAYER IS FOUND PLAYING WITH AN INDUSTRIAL TEAM WITHOUT BEING PAID DIRECTLY BY THAT COMPANY, ALL GAMES WHICH SAID PLAYER PARTICIPATED IN MAY BE FORFEITED. TEAMS MAY HAVE 2 PLAYERS THAT DO NOT WORK FOR THE COMPANY. IF A PROTEST OCCURS BECAUSE OF ALLEDGED ILLEGAL PLAYER THEN THE MANAGER MUST PRODUCE CANCELLED CHECKS WITH 72 HOURS OF PROTEST OR SAID GAME AND ANY OTHER GAME PLAYERS OR PLAYERS PARTICIPATED IN MAY BE FORFEITED AND MANAGER MAY BE SUSPENDED FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME. THERE WILL BE ZERO TOLERANCE IN THIS MATTER.
d. Players may not play in more than one (1) league at any park during one (1) season with the exception of co-ed, mastes,ladies and industrial. No player can play in more than one open league. If you are caught playing in more than one league you may face suspension and your team may have to face forfeits in games that you played in. The first open team you play with is the team that you are locked into .
4. a. The Recreation Department will schedule all regular season games, and all make-up games. Make-up games could occur on any week night. Team managers will get schedules by e-mail. Managers are also responsible for informing their team of any new rules, changes and/or up dates. THERE WILL BE A ONE HOUR TIME LIMIT ON ALL GAMES. Tie games will be completed and the fifteen and the ten run rule will be in effect for all games. A team must be ready with at least nine (9) players at the scheduled game time, and must have nine (9) or more players to continue a game. Under no circumstances will a team be allowed to play with less than nine (9) players. You may now bat 12 players, which means an extra hitter. If you start with 12 you may finish with 9. Teams with less than (9) players will forfeit by the score of 7-0. If at the end of regulation play the score is tied, play will become one (1) pitch from the top of the inning after time runs out or at the end of the 7th inning.
b. A ten (10 minute grace period will be allowed to start a game only with the consent of the opposing team and it also be understood should permission be granted by NIRD & the opposing team that the game will be played according to remaining time after grace period commences.
Example: 5 minutes into grace period - 55 minute game
8 minutes into grace period - 52 minute game
After allotted 10 minutes grace and permission if a team still does not have nine (9) players, the NIRD umpire will declare forfeit.
5. a. Team managers must turn in a lineup card to the official scorekeeper no less that ten (10) minutes before scheduled game time. At scheduled game time any team whose lineup was not given to the scorekeeper in time to be entered into the scorebook, team may forfeit the game.
b. The forfeit rule is as follows:
2nd forfeit: The team is banned from league for the remainder of the season.
Exception: Industrial League.
6. Any player ejected from a game for any reason will be suspended for an indefinite period to be decided upon by the Recreation Department and the game umpire. A second such offense by the same player may result in suspension of not less than one(1) year. Before being reinstated that player must appear before the New Iberia Recreation Superintendent. ANY PLAYER EJECTED FROM A GAME MUST LEAVE HERBY POURCIAU SOFTBALL COMPLEX AT ONCE, OR THE GAME WILL BE FORFEITED. A PLAYER EJECTED FOR A SECOND OFFENSE AS STATED ABOVE IS SUSPENDED FROM ALL RECREATION DEPARTMENT LEAGUES, FUNCTIONS, AND FACILITIES FOR A PERIOD TO BE DECIDED BY NIRD OFFICIALS ACCORDING TO NATURE OF EJECTION.
7. Home team will be determined by instruction set on league schedules. First base dugout will be designated home team. In the event of a 3rd round schedule, a coin flip will be inserted for the 3rd round.
8. A 72 hour time limit is allowed for a protest. All protest must be filed in writing along with a $25.00 protest fee. If the protest is ruled in favor of the team protesting, the fee is returned. NO PROTEST WILL BE ACCEPTED ON JUDGEMENT CALLS. All PROTEST MUST be filed with the Recreation Department League supervisor. The Protest Committee will rule on all protest (Chief Umpire, Game Umpire and League Supervisor).
9. Any undue continuous baiting of any Department Official is unsportsmanlike conduct and may result in an ejection from the game and suspension of not less than three (3) played games. Any person or player touching or cursing a department official may result in a suspension of not less than one (1) year and up to lifetime ban and may be subject to prosecution. TEAMS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THEIR FANS. ANY FAN SO EJECTED WHO REFUSES TO LEAVE THE PARK WILL FACE LEGAL PROSECUTION and the team may face a forfeit. Local law enforcement may be called.
10. Only a player approved by NIRD officials prior to the start of the season will be allowed a courtesy runner. Such as physical handicaps: knee injuries not included. This does not include master league
Because courtesy runners from that league will follow usssa rules.
ANY PLAYER WITHOUT A TEAM SHIRT OR LIKE SHIRT WILL NOT PLAY.
12. NO STEEL CLEATS WILL BE ALLOWED IN LEAGUE OR TOURNAMENT PLAY AT HERBY POURCIAU SOFTBALL COMPLEX, IN CITY PARK OR WEST END PARK. NO DO-NUTS, FANS, LEAD PIPES WILL BE ALLOWED AT ANY PARK.
13. The Dudley 40 cor will be the only ball you can use at Bank Avenue Park for league play and pre-season tournament. It must have the NIRD stamp on it. Each team will receive a dozen balls with your entry fee.. You may purchase more balls for $6.00 a ball or $60.00 a dozen at NIRD office or bank concession stand. This will eliminate all controversy over ball situations..
14. * NO DRINKING OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OF ANY TYPE WILL BE ALLOWED BY A PLAYER DURING THEIR GAME ON ANY PARK PROPERTY. ANYONE CAUGHT DRINKING ON PARK PROPERTY DURING THEIR GAME MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY SUSPENDED WHETHER THEY ARE IN THE STARTING LINE-UP OR NOT. A SUSPENSION OF NOT LESS THAN THREE (3) LEAGUE GAMES WILL BE ASSESSED.
15. No one will be allowed out of the dugout on the playing field when you are on offense except batter, on deck
batter, Coaches (1st and 3rd) and any runners that may be on base. The umpire will give you 1 warning. On the 2nd warning you may be ejected from the game. This is for safety reasons.
LEAGUE FEE IS $475.00. This includes a $25.00 sanction fee.Team rosters and league fee must be turned in to the NIRD office no later than 4PM on Monday April 14 2014. If you want to throw a tournament at bank the tournament drawing is Wed, April 16th at 7pm at City Park. Come with more than one date with you in case someone ahead of you takes your first date. Tournament rental fee is $200.00 a day and NIRD will handle ALL concessions ..Only Saturdays and Sundays will be available for tournaments. Remember you will receive a dozen softballs with your entry fee.
The league will begin the week of April 28th 2014
Please make checks payable to NIRD.
For the league 15 award shirts will be given to first and second place teams in each
division. Additional shirts may be purchased at our costs. Every team must give a
Primary and secondary e-mail address when entry fee is paid.. please print your e-mail
Address. We will e-mail league schedules and tournament brackets when ready
Have a great season.............
***Rules are subject to change***