Summer Softball Rules 2013
1. All softball leagues shall be under the supervision of the New Iberia Recreation Department (NIRD). NIRD reserves the right to make any adjustments that will benefit the league(s) as a whole. The decision of the Department will be final.
2. Official USSSA Softball rules for the 2013 season shall govern all league play, (including home run rules) except as amended and stated by local rule changes. Industrial A, Masters, Ladies and Co-ed are allowed three (3) home runs per game. Every home run after allotted home runs will be an inning ending out and an offensive ejection, meaning the player can remain on defense but that slot in the batting order is an out throughout the reminder of the game. The same rule applies for the Fun league. No home runs allowed and slot out plus inning ending out will come into play (USSSA Softball Rules).
b. THERE WILL BE NO ADDITIONS TO TEAM ROSTERS AFTER THE NIGHT OF THE SECOND PLAYED GAME EXCEPT IN CASE OF INJURY TO PLAYER SUPPORTED BY A DOCTORS EXCUSE OR PERMISSION IS GRANTED BY THE RECREATION DEPARTMENT. In case of adding player to roster due to injury, injured players name will be dropped for the remainder of season. The player dropped from the roster will not be able to play with any other team after that point. This rule will be enforced. THE INJURED PLAYER'S DOCTOR'S EXCUSE MUST BE GIVEN TO AND BE APPROVED BY NIRD BEFORE PLAYING. Teams may be asked to produce cancelled payroll checks as proof of employment.
c. All Industrial teams are excluded from Rule 3b as they are allowed to pick up all season long due to extenuating circumstances (such as shift work) as long as they are on the payroll of that particular company. Player must receive check from that company to qualify. Roster limits are unlimited for Industrial teams. IF A PLAYER IS FOUND PLAYING WITH AN INDUSTRIAL TEAM WITHOUT BEING PAID DIRECTLY BY THAT COMPANY, ALL GAMES WHICH SAID PLAYER PARTICIPATED IN MAY BE FORFEITED. TEAMS MAY HAVE TWO (2) PLAYERS THAT DO NOT WORK FOR THE COMPANY. IF A PROTEST OCCURS BECAUSE OF ALLEDGED ILLEGAL PLAYER THEN THE MANAGER MUST PRODUCE CANCELLED CHECKS WITHIN SEVENTY-TWO (72) HOURS OF PROTEST OR SAID GAME AND ANY OTHER GAME PLAYERS PARTICIPATED IN MAY BE FORFEITED AND MANAGER MAY BE SUSPENDED FOR AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME. THERE WILL BE ZERO TOLERANCE IN THIS MATTER.
d. Players may not play in more than one (1) league at any park during one (1) season with the exception of Co-ed, Masters, Ladies and Industrial. No player can play in more than one (1) open league. If you are caught playing in more than one (1) league you may face suspension and your team may have to face forfeits in games that you played in. The first open team you play with is the team that you are locked into including the preseason tournament.
4. a. The Recreation Department will schedule all regular season games and all make-up games. Make-up games could occur on any week night. Team managers will get schedules by e-mail. Managers are also responsible for informing their team of any new rules, changes and/or updates. THERE WILL BE A ONE (1) HOUR TIME LIMIT ON ALL GAMES. Tie games will be completed and the fifteen (15) and the ten (10) run rule will be in effect for all games. A team must be ready with at least nine (9) players at the scheduled game time, and must have nine (9) or more players to continue a game. Under no circumstances will a team be allowed to play with less than nine (9) players. You may now bat twelve (12) players, which means an extra hitter. If you start with twelve (12) you may finish with nine (9). Teams with less than nine (9) players will forfeit by the score of 7-0. If at the end of regulation play the score is tied, play will become one (1) pitch from the top of the inning after time runs out or at the end of the 7th inning.
5. a. Team managers must turn in a lineup card to the official scorekeeper no less than ten (10) minutes before scheduled game time. At scheduled game time any team whose lineup was not given to the scorekeeper in time to be entered into the scorebook, team may forfeit the game.
b. The forfeit rule is as follows:
7. Home team will be determined by instruction set on league schedules. First base dugout will be designated home team. In the event of a 3rd round schedule, a coin flip will be inserted for the 3rd round.
8. A seventy-two (72) hour time limit is allowed for a protest. All protests must be filed in writing along with a $25.00 protest fee. If the protest is ruled in favor of the team protesting, the fee is returned. NO PROTEST WILL BE ACCEPTED ON JUDGEMENT CALLS. All protests must be filed with the Recreation Department League supervisor. The Protest Committee will rule on all protests (Chief Umpire, Game Umpire and League Supervisor).
9. Any undue continuous baiting of any Department Official is unsportsmanlike conduct and may result in an ejection from the game and suspension of not less than three (3) played games. Any person or player touching or cursing a department official may result in a suspension of not less than one (1) year and up to lifetime ban and may be subject to prosecution. TEAMS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF THEIR FANS. ANY FAN SO EJECTED WHO REFUSES TO LEAVE THE PARK WILL FACE LEGAL PROSECUTION and the team may face a forfeit. Local law enforcement may be called.
10. Only a player approved by NIRD officials prior to the start of the season will be allowed a courtesy runner because of physical handicaps. Knee injuries are not included. This does not include Master league because courtesy runners from that league will follow USSSA rules.
11. No cut off jeans or shirts will be allowed. All team members must play in like jerseys (similar color and style). Each jersey shall be numbered on back with number from 0 to 99 (whole numbers only). NO two (2) players may participate with the same number. All numbers must be at least 6" high. Players will be given until the 2nd played game to be in uniform. Should a team have a player without a uniform shirt after the allotted grace period then it will be up to the league supervisor to approve that before game time. Hats are not required but should you wear one it is to be worn properly and not backwards. Baseball type hats only. All players participating in the game must wear the team uniform. PLAYERS MUST HAVE A SHIRT BY THE NIGHT OF THE SECOND PLAYED GAME. THERE WILL BE NO EXCUSES. ANY PLAYER WITHOUT A TEAM SHIRT OR LIKE SHIRT WILL NOT PLAY.
14. * NO DRINKING OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OF ANY TYPE WILL BE ALLOWED BY A PLAYER DURING THEIR GAME ON ANY PARK PROPERTY. ANYONE CAUGHT DRINKING ON PARK PROPERTY DURING THEIR GAME MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY SUSPENDED WHETHER THEY ARE IN THE STARTING LINE-UP OR NOT. A SUSPENSION OF NOT LESS THAN THREE (3) LEAGUE GAMES WILL BE ASSESSED.
15. No one will be allowed out of the dugout on the playing field when you are on offense except batter, on deck batter, Coaches (1st and 3rd) and any runners that may be on base. The umpire will give you one (1) warning. On the 2nd warning you may be ejected from the game. This is for safety reasons.
LEAGUE FEE IS $475.00. This includes a $25.00 sanction fee but it does not include the $75.00 preseason tournament fee (optional). Team rosters and league fee must be turned in to the NIRD office no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 12, 2013. All participating teams in the preseason tournament must be league teams with league rosters. Preseason tournament fee is due by Tuesday, April 16, 2013. Remember, the team you play with in the preseason tournament is the team you play with in league. If you want to throw a tournament at Bank Avenue Park, the tournament drawing is Wednesday, April 17, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at City Park. Come with more than one date with you in case someone ahead of you takes your first date. Tournament rental fee is $150.00 a day and NIRD will handle ALL concessions. Only Saturdays and Sundays will be available for tournaments. Remember, preseason tournament is only open to league teams and only your league roster of players are eligible to play in tournament.
Tournament brackets will be ready Wednesday, April 17, 2013. Preseason tournament will be held April 19 through April 21, 2013. The league will begin the week of April 29, 2013.
For the league, fifteen (15) award shirts will be given to first and second place teams in each division. Additional shirts may be purchased at our cost. Every team must give a primary and secondary e-mail address when entry fee is paid. Please print your e-mail address. We will e-mail league schedules and tournament brackets when ready.
Have a great season.............
***Rules are subject to change***